DEPARTMENT OF DERMATOLOGY AND VENEREOLOGY,
AIIMS, ANSARI NAGAR, NEW DELHI
The department was set up in1950s under the Chairmanship of Late Prof K C Kandhari, and subsequently iconic personalities like Late Prof LK Bhutani (1974-1996), Prof JS Pasricha ( 1996-8) and Prof RK Pandhi (1998-2001) headed the department. Prof Vinod K Sharma has been the head of the department since May, 2001.
Prof KC Kandhari and Prof LK Bhutani laid the basic foundation of the department and started Dermatology training module which is still being followed with modifications as per changing requirements. The department has grown up in its size since then and has contributed remarkably to the Dermatology specialty. The department has introduced many new innovative treatment methods like Dexametasone cyclophoshphamide pulse therapy and oral mini pulse and investigative procedures for allergic skin diseases.
Under Prof Vinod K Sharma, the department has been expanded and modernized and has acquired four lasers and expanded dermatosurgery, phototherapy and started research lab for dermatology and restarted PhD in dermatology. Faculty has been trained to specilaise in pediatric dermatology and dermatopathology.
Currently it has 11 faculty members, provides postgraduate training to 17 students, and research and training experience to 8 senior residents. Also, the department has 3 Ph D scholars doing research work in different areas of Dermatology. The department also provides various fellowships and training programs in bullous dermatosis, contact dermatitis, dermatosurgery and lasers, general dermatology and STIs.
Every year around 50,000 patients visit the outpatient department and around 800 patients are admitted in the indoor department and much larger number in day care for pulse therapy. The department provides the state of the art treatment in all domains of Dermatology and is equipped with the most modern equipments.
A brief Introduction of Head Department of Dermatology and Venereology
Area of Interest : Vitiligo, Psoriasis, alopecia, contact dermatitis, drug eruptions
Qualifications and Fellowship
MD Dermatology and Venereology, AIIMS, New Delhi, May 1982
One year “Leprosy Research Fellowship” 1992-93
Fellow National Academy of Medical Sciences (FAMS)
Fellow Royal College of Physicians (FRCP) London
International Member American Academy of Dermatology
Member European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology
EDITORIAL BOARD JOURNALS
Section Editor British Journal of Dermatology
Member Editorial Board “ Dermatitis”
ORATIONS and AWARDS
1.Indian Council Medical Research , New Delhi, India National awards for Dermatology and Venereology (1996) and Leprosy (1993)
2. Dr RV Rajam Oration awarded by National Academy of Medical sciences 2005
3. Professor LK Bhutani Memorial award for Teaching Research by IADVL , 2013
BOOKS PUBLISHED 4
1. . Editor in chief “ Sexually transmitted Diseases and HIV/AIDS” First and Second edition
Jan 2009, p 907, Viva Books, New Delhi
2. Editor in chief “ Handbook of Urticaria “ 2008, First edition, pp87, Massey Art Press , New Delhi
3. IADVL Therapeutic Guidelines: Guidelines for Vitiligo, Stevens Johnson Syndrome-Toxic Epidermal necrolysis and Psoriasis. 2009 . IADVL,New Delhi, pp 1-72.
4. Management of Psoriasis, Massey Art Press,New Delhi 2003,pp1-96.
Publications in peer reviewed journals 261
Citations in textbooks 29
Chapter in books 12
Recent Research Projects
S.No. Title of project Funding Agency Date of Sanction
1. Genetic Analysis of Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis in India NIH, USA 2010-2015
2. Elucidating role Fox3 promoter DNA methylation
Level in active non-segmental Generalized vitiligo DBT 2011-2014
3. Programme support for skin
Pigmentation DBT 2008-2013
Positions Held in Dermatology Associations
1. National President Indian Association of Dermatologists, Venereologists and Leprologists 2009
2. Congress President International Congress Dermatology, 2013
3. Vice President, International Society of Dermatology 2013-17
POSTAL ADDRESS: Professor and Chairman, Department of Dermatology & Venereology
All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi-110 029, India.