Dr. Vijay L. Kumar
Present Position: Professor and Head
Department of Pharmacology
AIIMS, New Delhi
Email: यह ईमेल पता spambots से संरक्षित किया जा रहा है. आप जावास्क्रिप्ट यह देखने के सक्षम होना चाहिए.
Education: M.Sc.(Pharmacology): All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
Ph.D.:All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
Postdoctoral Research: Institut de ChimieBiologique, Strasbourg, France
Awards and Honors: British Government fellowship for training in Medical Education and Technology, 1990.
Chandra KantaDandiya Prize of Prem Chand Dandiya Endowment Trust for best research publication in Pharmacology,1999.
C.L. MalhotraResearch Prizein Pharmacology by the Association of Physiologists and Pharmacologists of India for research, 2000.
A.V. TilakParvathy Devi Prize by the Association of Physiologists and Pharmacologists of India for best research paper in endocrinology, 2006.
Dev Raj Bajaj Research Prize by the Association of Physiologists and Pharmacologists of India for the best research paper in developing a new technique, 2009.
Member - National Academy of Medical Sciences, India, 2004.
Member – National Academy of Sciences, India, 2007.
- Anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory mechanisms of drugs and botanicals.
- Molecular biology of steroid receptors, regulation of receptors and its relevance in hormone dependent cancers.
Outline of Research:
- Anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antiarthritic properties of non-protein and protein fractions of latex of Calotropisprocera- their effect on edema formation, neutophil influx, oxidative stress, mediator and cytokine release, COX-2 expression and apoptosis.
- Other medicinal properties of latex of C. procera-Antipyretic, antidiarrhoeal, antihyperglycemic, anticancer, hepatoprotective, antiulcer, maintenance of coagulation homeostasis in in vivo model
- Purification and pharmacological characterization of active constituents of latex of C. procera.
- Pleiotropic effects of drugs and plant derived preparations -atorvastatin, artesunate.
- Development of models forscreening of anti-inflammatory and cytotoxic drugs.
- Steroid and growth factor receptors -in vivo regulation and implication to prostate cancer, regulatory mechanisms and splice variants of estrogen receptor in breast cancer.
- Kumar V.L., Majumder P.K. and Kumar V. Androgen deprivation causes up-regulation of androgen receptor transcript in the rat prostate. Mol. Cell. Biochem. 171: 133-138, 1997.
- Kumar V.L.,Majumder P.K., Gujral S., Kumar V. Comparative analysis of epidermal growth factor receptor mRNA levels in normal, benign hyperplastic and carcinomatous prostate. Cancer Letters 134: 177-180, 1998.
- Singh H., Kumar S., Dewan S. and Kumar V.L. Inflammation induced by latex of Calotropisprocera- a new model to evaluate anti-inflammatory drugs. J. Pharmacol. Toxicol. Methods 43: 219-224, 2000.
- Choedon T.,Mathan G., Arya S., Kumar V.L. and Kumar V. Anticancer and cytotoxic properties of the latex of Calotropisprocera in a transgenic mouse model of hepatocellular carcinoma. World J. Gastroenterol. 12: 2517-2522, 2006.
- Kumar V.L., Kumar S., Srivastava A. and Kumar V. Observations on the presence of E domain variants of estrogen receptor-α in the breast tumors. J Surg. Oncol. 94: 332-337, 2006.
- Wahane V.D. and Kumar V.L. Atorvastatin ameliorates inflammatory hyperalgesia in ratmodel of monoarticular arthritis. Pharmacol. Res.61: 329-333, 2010.
- Guruprasad B., Chaudhary P., Choedon T. and Kumar V.L.Artesunateameliorates functional limitations in Freund’s complete adjuvant-induced monoarthritis in rat by maintaining oxidative homeostasis and inhibiting COX-2 expression. Inflammation 38: 1028-1035, 2015.
- Verma S. and Kumar V.L. Attenuation of gastric mucosal damage by artesunate in rat: modulation of oxidative stress and NFκB mediated signaling. Chem. Biol. Interact. 257: 46-53, 2016.
- Verma S., Das P. and Kumar V.L. Chemoprevention by artesunate in a preclinical model of colorectal cancer involves down regulation of β-catenin, suppression of angiogenesis, cellular proliferation and induction of apoptosis. Chem. Biol. Interact. 278: 84-91, 2017.
- Ahmad H., Verma S. and Kumar V.L. Effect of roxithromycin on mucosal damage, oxidative stress and pro-inflammatory markers in experimental model of colitis. Inflamm. Res. 67: 147-155, 2018.